Wednesday, January 29, 2014

Blueberry Muffin Protein Bar

Yup, one bar, two favorite eats. Yum!
These really do taste like the fluffy, buttery, fresh blueberry studded muffins that one drools over at any coffee shop. Though the taste is spot on, the texture couldn't be more different. These are dense and chewy, with an added bite from the freeze-dried blueberries...the consistency that I want in a protein bar.

Blueberry Muffin Protein Bar

1 C finely ground oat flour
6 scoops (132g) vanilla protein powder
1 t vanilla extract
1 t Princess Cake and Cookie Flavor by LorAnn Oils
2 t flax seeds

1/3 C almond nut butter
*1/2 t lemon juice (optional)

1 C nonfat dry milk
1/2-3/4 C water, depending on consistency
1 C freeze dried blueberries

Prepare an 8x8 inch dish with cooking spray or parchment.
Add all dry ingredients to a large bowl. Lightly mix together and make a well in the middle of the mix. Add the wet ingredients into the well and lightly stir to break apart the nut butter before incorporating into the rest of the batter. Gently fold freeze dried blueberries into the batter. Press the dough into the prepared baking dish. Cover and let rest in the refrigerator for a few hours or overnight before cutting into 9 squares. Store in the fridge, or in the freezer for longer term.
You can individually wrap these in wax paper and pull them out from the fridge for snacks on the go, or you can leave them in the dish like I do and cut chunks away at your leisure.


Happy Breakfast to me! ...and after exercise snack, ...and lunch. Because they're that good. I also really enjoyed them with this Cashew Cream 'Cheese' smudged on top, for more protein goodness. Now they just taste pretty much like a blueberry cupcake with cream cheese frosting. Oh yes, I went there. And I probably will again tomorrow.
But I can share! So here is my new favorite recipe! :)

Yum, a modified cupcake ;)
A note about the Princess Cake and Cookie Flavor:
This is one of those fun buys that I got at a store once, the flavor itself I can only describe as that of a sweet treat and helps give a decadence to these bars. You of course could add any additional flavor you have or would like, from lemon juice to a bit of coconut. These variations I have not *yet* tried, but writing about them is making me think I'm going to be making another batch of these really soon.
If you try another variation, let me know!

What flavor mash-up would you like to see in a protein bar?

Cheers,

     Suzy

No comments:

Post a Comment