Tuesday, August 19, 2014

Garden Galette



Is your garden bursting with zucchini yet?...Or your neighbor's garden?



I'm lucky, I don't currently have a garden, but I have a very generous neighbor that gives me zucchini from their garden when it's abundant; and I look forward to the donation every year! Sometimes I even think up and save recipes that contain zucchini specifically to make in late summer because even if my neighbors have a low turn out, it can easily be found at farmer's markets in abundance!



I love gardening, I even had an internship last summer where gardening was a focus for community involvement and outreach. There was a farmer's market that took place weekly with other's who shared the same love of fresh food and community. In all, it was a really neat experience, I was able to learn so much about growing fresh fruits and vegetables, but more importantly I also learned a lot about the community that revolved around the weekly market.


 And for funsies, here is a step-by-step photo-op: 

Finished!


 Now Enjoy!


Being surrounded by such vibrant and fresh food excited me to someday have a garden of my own! Until then, I thank my neighbors very much for their garden produce!!

Here's what I have made with it this year, a Suzy original:)



Garden Galett
3 zucchini, cut into ribbons
1/3 large Vadalia onion, chopped
1/2 cup Parmesan, grated.
Handful of fresh garden herbs (really any kind, I used basil, parsley, chive, and cilantro)
1 recipe for savory (buckwheat) crust

Preheat oven 350 degrees.
Prepare a cookie sheet with parchment and a light coating of cooking spray.
Roll out prepared dough for crust,
Slice zucchini into ribbons, I use a vegetable peeler to make thin slices length wise, and chop the onion and fresh herbs.
Layer vegetables evenly over the crust dough, alternating between vegetables and a sprinkling of cheese.
When done, layering vegetables, fold edges of dough over the vegetables the best you can. I use a fork to help out a bit. It doesn't need to be even, it will just look rustic, right? That's what I tell myself anyway.
Bake for 25-35 minutes. The time will depend on the amount of vegetable you manage to pile on top of the crust.
Allow to cool for a few minutes before cutting into slices.
Enjoy!


This galette is scrumptious straight out of the oven, or cooled. This means you could  make it ahead of time and store in the refrigerator before serving. Either way, it is a delightful garden treat!

Cheers,
     Suzy

2 comments:

  1. Love this-what a great idea! I'm guessing this would be a great with squash too, thanks for sharing this lovely recipe!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your Welcome! Squash would be such a good topping for this, couldn't go wrong!

      Delete