Thursday, February 14, 2013

Dazzling Raspberry Cream Scones

Happy Valentines Day!

I've always liked Valentines Day. I look forward to the heart decorations and the nice gestures that people do for each other. It gives a good excuse to pull out the construction paper and glitter, which is always time well spent. And in the culinary world, Valentines day is a great excuse to bake something for someone, like these scones.
These scones are bursting with flavor and delicately sweet. The raspberries and lemon zest combine to lend a touch of tartness, but is mellowed by the cream that really pulls this recipe together. I thought all the flavors complimented each other really well and would be an excellent treat to share with anyone, especially over tea and coffee.
I adapted this recipe from The Family Kitchen at Babble

Raspberry Cream Scones

Yield: 6 large scones
(you could easily make 12 baby scones, just divide dough into two mounds before baking.)

Ingredients:
2 C gluten free flour blend
1/3 cup sugar, plus extra for sprinkling on top.
1 T baking powder
1/2 t salt
zest from 2 lemons
2 cups fresh raspberries
1 1/4 cup heavy cream, plus extra for brushing on top

Method:
Grease a cookie sheet and set it aside.
Preheat your oven to 350.
In a bowl, combine all dry ingredients and lemon zest. Toss the raspberries in to coat with dry ingredients. Pour in the cream and carefully fold mixture, making sure to not over mix.
Put down some parchment paper and lightly dust the surface.
When the dough starts clumping together, turn it out onto the floured parchment and form into a mound and flatten into a disc about 2 inches thick.
Pick up the disk and place it onto your cookie sheet. At this point I cut my disk evenly into 6 triangles, but I left them in the disk formation to bake.
Brush the dough with extra cream and sprinkle with sugar.
Your baking time will be longer if you keep them together versus if you were to pull them apart to bake as individual scones. My scones baked for about 40 minutes until the tops were lightly golden. If you separated them, they should only need about 15 minutes in the oven.
When they are still warm from the oven, I will admit, I sprinkled them with a little extra extra sugar, because I wanted them to sparkle :)
If you left them in the disk formation you will need to re-cut them because they will mostly bake back together. I found this was easiest when they were still warm.

Like these scones, people think of Valentines day as either being a sweet holiday worth cherishing or a tart day they would rather get over with. 

Do you fancy Valentines Day?

Like I said, I'm a bit biased because I like the hearts everywhere.

Doesn't that picture just say, "go ahead, take a bite!"
Serve with some freshly whipped cream!

No comments:

Post a Comment