Tuesday, February 19, 2013

The Oats And Berries

Not much beats a good ol' fashion bowl of oats, steaming, and topped with ripe berries that burst in your mouth. I love when you mix them together and get swirls of colors through the oats. A great filling breakfast full of fiber and antioxidants. It is after all, the inspiration of this blog...Well, that and the fact that if you were to flip through my recipe card book the majority include oats and berries, in one form or another.
Keeping it simple.
1/2 C Rolled Oats (GF)
3/4 C water
1/4 C (almond) milk
1 C freshly washed and cut berries (strawberries and blueberries)
*Sprinkle of cinnamon sugar (optional)

Prepare berries.
Put 1/4 cup berries in the bottom of your bowl.
Combine oats, water, and almond milk in a medium saucepan. Heat on high heat until begins to boil, and reduce to medium heat, cooking another 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Remove from heat. I like to let it sit and thicken for a few minutes, before scooping on top of the berries.
Top the oatmeal off with the remaining berries and *a sprinkling of cinnamon sugar.
Enjoy!

Microwave Version:
Combine oats, water, and almond milk in a large microwave-safe dish. Microwave on high for 2 minutes, making sure the oats don't spill over the edges of the bowl. Let sit in microwave 2 more minutes, letting any extra liquid to be soaked up. 
Remove from microwave. Stir oats, adding extra water or milk if needed.
Top the oatmeal off with berries and *a sprinkling of cinnamon sugar if desired.
Enjoy!

This is my recipe book, my holy grail of favorite recipes and ideas that I have collected while at school, so that I can make them when I come home.
It reminds me of "The Book" from The Devil Wears Prada, the one that Miranda Priestly insists having delivered to her house by one of her "Emilies", placed on the table with the flowers. It holds everything in it for the next issue of "Runway Magazine", much like my book that holds the inspiration for the creation of many of my recipes.

Where do you get inspiration for recipes?

A little added sweetness never hurt, I like to finish my bowl of oats and berries off with a sprinkle of cinnamon sugar.

Cheers,
     Suzy

1 comment: