Thursday, May 8, 2014

Best Chocolate Frosting

Before going gluten free I didn't realize that most frosting contains a thickener, often flour. After making the realization, frosting just became an extra addition to the growing list of things that you have to look out for when eating. Among the sneaky places gluten hides, frosting is low on my list of concerns. Other foods that I eat more often, and are more relevant to my daily life such as roux in soups and thickeners and emulsifiers used in salad dressing, trump frosting. However, when I had an idea for these luscious cupcakes I knew I wanted to use the best frosting possible, and after looking into a couple recipes I was reminded just how prevalent flours are used in the creamy cake topper. After some research I came across this recipe and made modifications according to personal experience with gluten free flours and preferences.

The result was a frosting that is luxury at it's finest. It is silky, smooth, and chocolaty beyond belief. Much more rich-tasting than any frosting you might get out of a plastic container.

Ingredients
1 cup chocolate chips
1/3 cup Gluten Free flour of choice (the finer, the better...I used sweet white rice)
3 T unsweetened cocoa powder
2/3 cup granulated sugar (I used a less because I knew this cupcake was already going to be so sweet)
1 cup almond milk
1 cup butter, room temperature

To Make The Frosting:
1. Carefully melt the chocolate chips in a microwave-safe bowl in 30-second increments and stirring after each. 
2. In a small saucepan and over medium heat, combine the GF flour, cocoa powder, sugar and milk. Whisk to combine and remove lumps, allowing the mixture to come to a simmer for 3-5 minutes until thickened.
3. Remove from heat, transfer to a large mixing bowl (it is suggested to strain it into the bowl), and allow it to cool COMPLETELY in the refrigerator or freezer.
4. In a mixer (or in a bowl with a hand mixer), beat the butter until fluffy [2 min]. Add the cooled flour mixture and beat until fluffy [2 min]. Incorporate the melted chocolate chips and continue to beat until smooth and still fluffy [2 min].

At this point the frosting is ready to  pipe onto your cooled cupcakes, or you can go old-school (my personal favorite way of doing things) and smooth it on with a frosting knife.


Recipe for this S'more Cupcake HERE

Cheers,

     Suzy


No comments:

Post a Comment