Wednesday, May 21, 2014

Frozen Fruit Ice Cream

Strawberry-Banana makes me think of eating yogurt on my Grandparent's deck when I was a kid during the summer months. And just like that yogurt was a refreshing summer snack, so was this Strawberry Banana Mango "Ice Cream" that my brother and I made on a summer afternoon.

This "ice cream" came about kind of on accident, because we were originally making smoothies...but we had A LOT of frozen fresh fruit on hand, and well...there just wasn't any more room in the blender for more orange juice or milk.
And hey, eating a smoothie out of a bowl and with a spoon is more fun anyway.


Freezing fresh fruit is a great way to store it if you can't use it before it starts to go bad. In the late summer months I always have that problem of over-buying because it looks so abundant and bountiful in the market, and then not using it up in time. Freezing has become my go-to way of saving the fruit (or making compotes!) and this way it stays good well into the fall and winter months when it isn't as readily available.

This "ice cream" is refreshing and sweet, and well...you don't have to feel too bad about eating it. Of course to make banana ice cream you really only need bananas and don't need any other add-ins, but if you feel like jazzing it up, this Strawberry-Banana version is wonderful!

It looks just like the soft serve fro-yo that is becoming ever-so popular now-a-days! Delicious!

Strawberry Banana Mango "Ice Cream"

2-3 frozen bananas
2 Cups frozen strawberries, or any other berry
splash of milk/orange juice, start with 2-3 Tablespoons
Scoop of yogurt (optional)
Ice cubes (optional)

Add all ingredients into a blender, adding only a few splashes of juice/milk at first. Blend until smooth. The mixture should still be quite thick, add more liquid if necessary until the desired consistency is reached.
Scoop into a bowl and enjoy!

Have you ever used frozen frozen? What did you make?

I really like using frozen bananas, I use them all the time in smoothies like my Favorite Green Smoothie, and frozen mangoes are great too! I love frozen mangoes in Mango Lassies, like this one here.
Both bananas and mangoes get sweeter after having been frozen, making them all the more fun to eat!

Cheers,
Suzy

1 comment:

  1. This looks so good! And I agree with you Suzy, I'd rather have my smoothie with a bowl and spoon too. :)

    ReplyDelete